Therrien Wins Milk Bowl Pole on Qualifying Day
Sweet Dominates PASS 150 for Victory
Barre, VT – Hinesburg’s Bobby Therrien will lead the field to the green flag in the 57th Vermont Milk Bowl presented by Northfield Savings Bank on Sunday, September 29. Therrien posted a fast lap of 12.379 seconds around Thunder Road’s high banks to bag the $1,000 Pole Award on Booth Bros./H.P. Hood Qualifying Day.
The 2017 “King of the Road” was actually initially the second-fastest driver on the track for the Maplewood/Irving Oil Late Models. However, provisional polesitter Trampas Demer’s time was disallowed after his car was found to be too wide in post-time trial technical inspection. The disqualification also moved Essex Jct.’s Matthew Smith onto the outside pole after a surprising effort of 12.389 seconds.
Fayston’s Brooks Clark and Montpelier’s Kyle Pembroke will start in the second row after taking victories in the 50-lap qualifying races. Clark inherited the lead on lap 26 of the first 50-lap qualifier after Therrien fulfilled his race requirements and pitted. The 2019 Vermont Governor’s Cup winner then held off late charges by Danville’s Tyler Cahoon and St-Denis, QC’s Patrick Laperle for the win.
Milton’s Dylan Payea qualified for his first Milk Bowl with a fourth-place finish while Graniteville’s Chip Grenier came in fifth. Rich Dubeau, Stephen Donahue, and Scott Dragon earned the final transfer spots.
Pembroke grabbed the lead from Smith right off the start of the second 50-lap qualifier. After a caution on the second lap for a brief rain shower, Pembroke pulled away in the middle stages before holding off Marcel J. Gravel’s belated charge for tine victory.
Two-time American-Canadian Tour (ACT) Champion Scott Payea of Colchester finished third. Joey Polewarczyk, Nick Sweet, Matt White, Jason Corliss, and Joel Hodgdon also transferred into the Milk Bowl. Lance Allen, Jimmy Hebert, Darrell Morin, and Eric Chase fell back on their time trial speeds for Milk Bowl starting positions 19-22. Allen will give up his seat to Christopher Pelkey on Sunday and Pelkey will start last in Segment 1 due to the driver change.
Senioa, GA invader Bubba Pollard came up one spot short in his qualifying race and will start on the outside pole of Sunday’s Last Chance “B” Feature alongside Warwick, MA’s Tom Carey III. Demers, Brent Dragon, Jonathan Bouvrette, and Mason Mitchell are among the other notable drivers who are not yet qualified for the Milk Bowl.
Barre’s Sweet found greater success in the Pro All Stars Series (PASS) Super Late Model Prelude to the Milk Bowl 150 as he dominated the event. Sweet took the lead from Gabe Brown shortly following the first caution on lap 27 and ran away from the field for his second straight PASS victory on Vermont Milk Bowl Weekend.
PASS North point leader D.J. Shaw of Center Conway, NH finished a distant second. Northfield’s Even Hallstrom took a popular third place. Derek Griffith and Brown rounded out the top five.
Waterbury Center’s Jason Woodard took the first two notches of the weekend in the Lenny’s Shoe & Apparel Flying Tigers. The newly crowned champion earned the pole for Segment 1 of the Flying Tiger “Mini Milk Bowl” and went wire-to-wire for the win. Woodard held off multiple charges by Hinesburg’s Cooper Bouchard, including one for a three-lap sprint to the checkered flag following the race’s third caution, for the victory. He will thus start last in Segment 2 on Sunday.
Kelsea Woodard came home in the third spot. Jason Pelkey, Mike Martin, Kyle Streeter, Stephen Martin, Danny Doyle, Tyler Austin, and Mike Billado completed the top-10.
Berlin’s Eric “Pork” Chase made his move late to claim the win in Segment 1 of the Burnett Scrap Metals Road Warrior Mini Milk Bowl. Polesitter Paige Whittemore of Graniteville led most of the event until she bobbled in lapped traffic coming to the two-to-go signal. Chase saw his opportunity and dove low to take the Segment 1 win.
Whittemore settled for second. She was followed to the line by Brian Putney, Fred Fleury, Luke Marcheski, Todd Raymo, Jason Kirby, Frank Putney, and Tyler Whittemore.
Segment 1 of the Allen Lumber Street Stock Mini Milk Bowl was halted after three laps when rain moved back into the area. Polesitter Brandon Gray of East Thetford was the leader at the time. The remainder of Street Stock Segment 1 and Segment 2 of the Road Warrior Mini Milk Bowl will be added to the Sunday schedule of events.
The Thunder Road season concludes at 12:15pm on Sunday, September 29 with the 57th Vermont Milk Bowl presented by Northfield Savings Bank. The day begins with the Last Chance “B” Feature for the final spots on the Milk Bowl starting grid. The three-segment Milk Bowl will follow along with the conclusion of the Flying Tiger, Street Stock, and Road Warrior Mini Milk Bowls plus a Mini Milk Bowl for the 7-Eleven Dwarf Cars. The pits open at 8:00am and the front gates open at 10:00am. Admission is $30 for adults and free ages 12 and under.
For more information, contact the Thunder Road/ACT offices at (802) 244-6963, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit www.thunderroadvt.com or www.acttour.com. You can also follow on Facebook and Twitter at @ThunderRoadVT and @ACTTour.
BOOTH BROS./H.P. HOOD MILK BOWL QUALIFYING DAY
MAPLEWOOD/IRVING OIL LATE MODELS
VERMONT MILK BOWL PRESENTED BY NORTHFIELD SAVINGS BANK
Pos., Driver, Car #, Hometown
1. Bobby Therrien ( 5VT ) , Hinesburg, VT
2. Matthew Smith ( 04VT ) , Essex Jct., VT
3. Brooks Clark ( 68VT ) , Waitsfield, VT
4. Kyle Pembroke ( 27VT ) , Montpelier, VT
5. Tyler Cahoon ( 38VT ) , Danville, VT
6. Marcel J. Gravel ( 86VT ) , Wolcott, VT
7. Patrick Laperle ( 91QC ) , St-Denis, QC
8. Scott Payea ( 37VT ) , Colchester, VT
9. Dylan Payea ( 7NH ) , Milton, VT
10. Joey Polewarczyk ( 97NH ) , Hudson, NH
11. Chip Grenier ( 9VT ) , Graniteville, VT
12. Nicolas Sweet ( 88VT ) , Barre, VT
13. Rich Dubeau ( 30NH ) , Plainfield, NH
14. Matt White ( 42VT ) , Northfield, VT
15. Stephen Donahue ( 2VT ) , Graniteville, VT
16. Jason Corliss ( 66VT ) , Barre, VT
17. Scott Dragon ( 16VT ) , Milton, VT
18. Joel Hodgdon ( 36VT ) , Craftsbury Common, VT
19. Lance Allen ( 64VT ) , Barre, VT
20. Jimmy Hebert ( 58VT ) , Williamstown, VT
21. Darrell Morin ( 17VT ) , Westford, VT
22. Eric Chase ( 40VT ) , Milton, VT
23. 1st Place – B-Feature
24. 2nd Place – B-Feature
25. Thunder Road 80% Provisional
26. ACT 100% Provisional
PRO ALL STARS SERIES SUPER LATE MODELS
Pos., Driver, Car #, Hometown, Lap
1. Nicholas Sweet ( 40VT ) , Barre, VT , 150
2. D.J. Shaw ( 60 ) , Ctr. Conway, NH , 150
3. Evan Hallstrom ( 1VT ) , Northfield, VT , 150
4. Derek Griffith ( 12G ) , Hudson, NH , 150
5. Gabe Brown ( 47 ) , Ctr. Conway, NH , 150
6. Jeremy Davis ( 09 ) , Tamworth, NH , 150
7. Ben Rowe ( 4 ) , Turner, ME , 149
8. Bobby Therrien ( 5X ) , Hinesburg, VT , 149
9. JP Josiasse ( 24J ) , Ennismore, ON, CN , 148
10. Brandon Barker ( 5B ) , Windham, ME , 146
11. Phil Scott ( 14VT ) , Middlesex, VT , 69
DNS Jeremy Sorel ( 77 ) , Westfield, MA , 41
LENNY’S SHOE & APPAREL FLYING TIGERS
MINI MILK BOWL SEGMENT #1
Pos., Driver, Car #, Hometown
1. Jason Woodard ( 68VT ) Waterbury Ctr., VT
2. Cooper Bouchard ( 7VT ) Hinesburg, VT
3. Kelsea Woodard ( 55VT ) Waterbury Ctr., VT
4. Jason Pelkey ( 64VT ) Barre, VT
5. Michael Martin ( 01VT ) Craftsbury Common, VT
6. Kyle Streeter ( 37VT ) Waterbury Ctr., VT
7. #Stephen Martin ( 9VT ) Craftsbury Common, VT
8. Danny Doyle ( 51VT ) Chelsea, VT
9. Tyler Austin ( 5VT ) East Calias, VT
10. Mike Billado ( 8VT ) Grand Isle, VT
11. Brett Wood ( 29VT ) Georgia, VT
12. Robert Gordon ( 20VT ) Milton, VT
13. Kevin Boutin Jr. ( 25NH ) Fairfax, VT
14. Micheal MacAskill ( 33VT ) Williamstown, VT
15. Matthew Potter ( 23VT ) Marshfield, VT
16. Michael Potter ( 23NH ) Plainfield, VT
17. Brian Delphia ( 25VT ) Duxbury, VT
18. Brad Bushey ( 52VT ) Vergennes, VT
19. Adam Maynard ( 57VT ) Milton, VT
20. Bryan P. Wall ( 3VT ) E. Kingston, NH
21. Burton Spooner III ( 4VT ) E. Montpelier, VT
22. Chris Chambers ( 14VT ) Brookfield, VT
23. Colin Cornell ( 54VT ) E. Burke, VT
24. Amanda Wheeler ( 20NH ) Bradford, VT
25. Kevin Streeter ( 67VT ) Waitsfield, VT
26. Bunker Hodgdon ( 83VT ) Wolcott, VT
27. Dwayne Lanphear ( 40VT ) Morrisville, VT
28. Tommy Smith ( 22VT ) Williamstown, VT
BURNETT SCRAP METALS ROAD WARRIORS
MINI MILK BOWL SEGMENT #1
Pos., Driver, Car #, Hometown
1. Eric Chase ( 13 ) Berlin, VT
2. Paige Whittemore ( 47 ) Graniteville, VT
3. Brian Putney ( 87 ) E. Corinth, VT
4. Fred Fleury ( 99 ) Graniteville, VT
5. Luke Marcheski ( 40 ) Boston, MA
6. Todd Raymo ( 26 ) Swanton, VT
7. Jason Kirby ( 71 ) Milton, VT
8. Dan Garrett Jr. ( 54 ) Berlin, VT
9. Frank Putney ( 78 ) Graniteville, VT
10. Tyler Whittemore ( 74 ) Graniteville, VT
11. Anthony Campbell ( 14 ) Berlin, VT
12. James Dopp ( 0 ) Northfield, VT
13. Josh Vilbrin ( 07 ) Northfield, VT
14. Michael Stearns ( 3 ) Johnson, VT
15. Chris Davis ( 69 ) Berlin, VT
16. Tom Blaney ( 23 ) Craftsbury, VT
17. Brittany Lamprow ( 00 ) 0
18. Steve Reno ( 04 ) Barre, VT
19. Mike Mitchell ( 1 ) Essex Jct., VT
20. Zach Audet ( 19 ) Morrisville, VT
21. Nate Brien ( 16 ) Brookfield, VT
22. Taylour Hay ( 64 ) East Hardwick, VT