ACT, Chaudiere Cancel Claude Leclerc 150
Waterbury, VT & Vallée-Jct., QC – American-Canadian Tour (ACT) and Autodrome Chaudiere officials have mutually agreed to cancel the Claude Leclerc 150 that was scheduled for Saturday, May 30. The event, which debuted in 2019, is expected to return to the ACT Late Model Tour schedule for the 2021 season.
The decision, as with many other racing postponements and cancellations in 2020, was made due to health and safety restrictions in place related to the worldwide COVID-19 pandemic. To comply with Quebec mandates and guidelines, Autodrome Chaudiere had previously suspended all racing events through the month of August. Furthermore, the United States–Canada border remains closed to non-essential travel through at least June 21, which would preclude U.S. teams from traveling to the track even if it was in operation.
ACT and Autodrome Chaudiere did explore the possibility of rescheduling the Claude Leclerc 150 for later in the year. However, due to continuing uncertainty and the small potential timeframe to work with, the two parties agreed it would be best to put the event on hold until next season.
“While this wasn’t unexpected, it’s still a shame,” ACT managing partner Cris Michaud said. “ACT events at Autodrome Chaudiere have long been a success for both parties, and we’ll miss being able to go there this year. That being said, we plan on holding the Claude Leclerc 150 again in 2021 and making it bigger and better than ever.”
The status of the next event on the ACT schedule, the NAPA Spring Green 120 at New Hampshire’s White Mountain Motorsport Park (WMMP), is also up in the air at this time. WMMP, which is sanctioned by ACT, has yet to hold an event this year due to state guidelines prohibiting auto racing events with fans. While open practices have been allowed to resume at New Hampshire tracks in recent days, it remains to be seen when full events are officially approved to begin.
“We’re taking this one step at a time,” Michaud continued. “While we certainly want the season to begin as much as anyone, the health and safety of our supporters comes first. We’ll continue to provide updates on the situation as we have them. Things have been moving in the right direction for much of New England, and hopefully that continues so we can safely get the 2020 ACT racing season underway.”