PLATTSBURGH, NY – The veteran brought a rookie – and everyone else – to school on Saturday, August 29 at Airborne Park Speedway, as Leon Gonyo won a rare “Triple Crown” victory on Huntley Trucking Night. The longtime Chazy campaigner won all three of his races in the J&S Steel Modified division to headline a full night of action for the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series presented by Yandow Sales & Service and John Deere.
Gonyo grabbed the checkered flag in his qualifying heat, the bonus-points Ground Round Semi-Feature, and the 35-lap main event for the sweep, marking his first win at Airborne since May 17. Rookie Jamy Begor of Mooers had the best finish of his open-wheel Modified career as the runner-up, and the reward for him was even sweeter having occurred at the event hosted by one of his longtime sponsors in Huntley Trucking. Jason Durgan of Morrisonville survived an early off-track excursion to finish third, followed by Nick Heywood and rookie Danny Sullivan.
Heywood widened his already-large championship point lead entering the season’s twin 50-lap finales on Saturday, September 5. The Plattsburgh racer has a massive 72-point lead as he chases an historic fourth consecutive Airborne track title.
Plattsburgh’s Zack Daniels took his second Key R-D Trailer Sales Renegade win of the season and the third of his young career in a 25-lap feature. Daniels came on top after a lengthy door-to-door battle with 16 year-old Dylan Rabtoy, who finished second. Josh Terry finished third, followed by title contenders Richie Turner and Robert Gordon.
Turner, of Fairfax, VT, holds an unofficial 12-point championship lead on Gordon entering the finale, with Shawn Duquette another 15 markers back.
Rabtoy got the last word by winning a $250 bonus in the non-championship Ernie’s Discount Tools “King of the Hill” elimination tournament. After advancing through preliminary races, No. 6 seed Rabtoy, of Swanton, VT, squared off with No. 1 seed Turner in a best-of-three final round. Rabtoy won the first two-lap race, but a cut tire knocked him out of the second, handing Turner the win. After a quick pit stop for a new tire, Rabtoy edged Turner to win the final race.
Kris Clark of Keeseville drove to his division-leading sixth Busch Beer Mini-Modified win of the season, beating young Tyler Irwin. Original third-place finisher Eddie Bresette was disqualified in post-race inspection after two of his car’s wheels measured in beyond the maximum allowable camber angle. That moved point leader Chris LaVair up to third place, followed by Harold LaVair and Tim LaFountain. Chris LaVair leads Clark by 40 points entering the season finale.
Kayla Durgan of Plattsburgh won an eight-lap ladies-only “Powder Puff” race for Mini-Modified cars. Durgan drove Tyler Irwin’s car to beat early leader April Bordeau, driving Rob Foley’s machine, and Kristina Clark, wife of regular Mini-Modified feature winner Kris Clark.
Championship week approaches at Airborne Park Speedway, as the track’s Competition Kart Series crowns title winners in six divisions on Tuesday, September 1 at 6:30 p.m.; grandstand admission is free. The three weekly NASCAR stock car divisions will be in action for the final time on Saturday, September 5 at 6:00 p.m. with a special event presented by Huntley Trucking and Ernie’s Discount Tools.
Airborne Park Speedway is located on Broderick Road in Plattsburgh, NY, one mile south of Exit 36 on the Interstate 87 Northway. Visit www.airborneparkspeedway.com for more information, or call (518) 647-4444. Airborne Park Speedway is on Facebook at Facebook.com/AirborneParkSpeedway and on Twitter at @AirborneSpeed.
UNOFFICIAL RESULTS – Huntley Trucking Night
Airborne Park Speedway, Plattsburgh, NY
NASCAR Whelen All-American Series presented by Yandow Sales & Service and John Deere
Saturday, August 29, 2015
J&S Steel Modified Feature (35 laps)
(# – denotes rookie)
(4) Leon Gonyo, Chazy, NY
(2) # Jamy Begor, Mooers Forks, NY
(5) Jason Durgan, Morrisonville, NY
(10) Nick Heywood, Plattsburgh, NY
(9) # Danny Sullivan, Morrisonville, NY
(7) Mike Wells, West Chazy, NY
(3) Greg Atkins, Clintonville, NY
(13) Codie Aubin, Plattsburgh, NY
(6) Jamie LaFountain, Keeseville, NY
(1) # Timex Morgan, Plattsburgh, NY
(11) Ryan McLean, Au Sable Forks, NY
(14) Brian McGinley, Plattsburgh, NY
(15) Speedy Bresette, Plattsburgh, NY
(8) Bucko Branham, Plattsburgh, NY
(12) Rico Hernandez, Plattsburgh, NY
Heat Winners: Leon Gonyo; Jason Durgan
Ground Round Semi-Feature Winner: Leon Gonyo
Ernie’s Discount Tools Rookie of the Race: Jamy Begor
Shiley Fabrication Hard Charger Award: Nick Heywood
Shiley Fabrication Hard Luck Award: Rico Hernandez
Key R-D Trailer Sales Renegade Feature (25 laps)
(# – denotes rookie)
(5) Zack Daniels, Plattsburgh, NY
(3) Dylan Rabtoy, Swanton, VT
(8) Josh Terry, Essex, NY
(12) Richie Turner, Fairfax, VT
(7) Robert Gordon, Milton, VT
(4) Brent Jarvis, Peru, NY
(11) Jason McClatchie, Plattsburgh, NY
(6) Shawn Duquette, Morrisonville, NY
(13) Tylor Terry, Morrisonville, NY
(2) # Michael Wright, Alburgh, VT
(9) Curt Giventer, Saranac, NY
(10) # Tony Salerno, Mineville, NY
(1) Keith O’Neil, Mooers, NY
(14) Joe Bouyea, Plattsburgh, NY
Heat Winners: Zack Daniels; Dylan Rabtoy
Ernie’s Discount Tools Rookie of the Race: Michael Wright
Bond Auto Parts Hard Charger Award: Richie Turner
Ernie’s Discount Tools “King of the Hill” Tournament: (6) Dylan Rabtoy def. (1) Richie Turner
Busch Beer Mini-Modified Feature (15 laps)
(# – denotes rookie)
(11) Kris Clark, Keeseville, NY
(9) Tyler Irwin, Peru, NY
(10) Chris LaVair, Saranac Lake, NY
(4) Harold LaVair Jr., Gabriels, NY
(5) Tim LaFountain, Keeseville, NY
(13) Scott Richner, Rouses Point, NY
(8) Rob Clark Jr., Keeseville, NY
(2) Mike Bresette, Keeseville, NY
(15) Dale O’Neil, Mooers, NY
(14) Cory Lozier, St. Albans, VT
(12) # Clement Bell Jr., Peru, NY
(7) # Tanner Crary, Saranac Lake, NY
(3) Robert Foley, Saranac, NY
(1) Pete Blaney, Jay, NY
Disqualified: (6) Eddie Bresette, Plattsburgh, NY – wheel camber
Heat Winners: Chris LaVair; Kris Clark
Ernie’s Discount Tools Rookie of the Race: Clement Bell, Jr.
Bond Auto Parts Hard Charger Award: Kris Clark
Mini-Modified “Powder Puff” Race (8 laps)
(54) Kayla Durgan, Plattsburgh, NY
(66) April Bordeau, Dannemora, NY
(77NY) Kristina Clark, Keeseville, NY
(16) Amy O’Neil, Mooers, NY
(22B) Tiffany Blaney, Jay, NY
(4) Lindsey Wells, Saranac Lake, NY
(5) Lindsey Aubrey, Plattsburgh, NY